Summer is winding down, and with Labor Day looming just around the corner, it’s time to start getting your kids ready to head back to class!
At REACH Pro Tutoring, we know firsthand the daily struggles that come with the return of the school year. To help your student combat the first day jitters and stay organized, our credentialed private tutors have put together five of our best tips and tricks for back to school success!
- Set up a bedtime and wakeup schedule before school starts: Make sure you have a predetermined bedtime and wake-up schedule that you feel is appropriate for your student and allows for at least a full eight hours of sleep. According to the National Sleep Foundation, poor or inadequate sleep can lead to mood swings, behavioral problems, and cognitive problems that impact their concentration and ability to learn. Also, make sure to be firm on limiting the use of electronic devices leading up to bedtime so children can fall asleep on time.
- Get to know new teachers: Outside of recess and lunch breaks, your student’s teacher spends a full six hours a day with them, and gets to know them well. Therefore, it’s important to keep open lines of communication to ensure that you can follow up with homework and school projects, behavior, and your student’s overall progress. We also recommend introducing yourself to the secretary, principal, lunch lady, school nurse, and any other school staff your child may interact with during back to school orientations.
- Plan out healthy lunches: Studies show that children who eat a nutritious breakfast have better concentration and more energy during their school day, in turn leading to higher grades. Make sure you plan time in the mornings for your kids to eat or pay ahead of time for breakfast meals from their school. Most schools also send schedules of cafeteria meals home or have them posted on the school’s website. If you plan to utilize the school lunch program, make sure you pack a lunch on the days when you know your student won’t be thrilled with the choices.
- Create a calendar: Teaching your student to organize their time and plan ahead is easy and effective with a special calendar just for them! Help your child keep track of due dates for homework and class projects, extracurricular activities, special events, and/or meetings with private tutors with colorful stickers and markers. Make it a point to check in with them weekly on what’s coming up and continually update the calendar so everything stays organized.
- Organize school outfits: Hectic mornings are bound to happen here and there, but taking the time to lay out school clothes ahead of time can make a world of difference. Include fifteen minutes of planning school outfits into your nightly routine, and make sure that shoes, backpacks, and lunch bags are ready to go ahead of time. Also, help your child clean out their backpack on a weekly basis to ensure their supplies stay organized and their bag stays light enough for them to carry.
At REACH, our private tutors are credentialed teachers that are passionate about helping your student succeed. If your student is struggling with reading and writing, math, or simply needs homework help, contact us today!